A Place of Our Own
In 1817, the first permanent
school for deaf children opened in Hartford, Connecticut. At the time,
most Americans still lived on farms or in small towns. The scattered
population made it difficult to establish schools, especially for deaf
children, who were few and far between. Because schools for deaf
children had to serve such large areas, most were boarding schools. In
these residential settings, a community of deaf people began to form.