Before the Civil War, most
southern states provided no formal education for African American deaf
students. After the war, during the period known as Reconstruction, the
federal government began to force social changes in the South. In 1868,
North Carolina created a "Colored Department" alongside the main state
school for deaf students. Other southern states soon followed, creating
separate schools or departments.